Saturday, October 9, 2010

This Old House

I don't post a lot on this blog. If you're a fan, sorry about that. But I do write a lot of emails, carrying on a fairly interesting correspondence with various people. I suppose I could post my side of these conversations as blog posts--they might be interesting--but it kind of feels like cheating.

The other day I was talking to the Primate about House. I had indicated that I kind of like the show, although of course my ability to like or dislike it is severely limited by the fact that I don't have a TV and don't watch shows online. I've seen it a couple of times, though, and what I said I liked about it is that the main character is really smart and, despite a lot of pain and ugliness in his backstory and completely substandard social skills, remains basically on the side of the angels. Then I said

"In a world where smart people have to pretend to be pleasant, even to the point of avoiding stating unpleasant truths (even as stupid and dishonest people are freed from any obligation to be civil) seeing a fictional character who is both smart and blunt is refreshing. I wish it wasn't."

I guess this isn't really a new thought. "The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity" said Yeats. Sort of the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment